Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Job Status: Full-time
Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park is looking for an energetic individual to become a full-time Senior Aquarist on our aquarium team. The aquarium team is responsible for the care of all teleosts, elasmobranchs, herptiles, invertebrates, and their associated exhibits and life support systems while also leading many of our daily interaction programs with our guests. Interaction programs include educational chats while feeding, leading snorkels with stingrays, or hands-on interactions with reptiles.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishes husbandry protocols, diets, staff schedules, cleaning schedules, etc. for exhibits, animals, and life support in all areas.
- Effectively communicates with aquarists.
- Serves as the supervisor for the aquarium team department-wide projects in conjunction with the animal care team, staff veterinarian, and upper management leadership team.
- Excels in all aspects of husbandry, knowledge, communication, and responsibility. Demonstrates a sense of leadership in all actions and deeds.
- Has excellent ability at problem-solving.
- Function as a leader and a resource for aquarist staff in day-to-day operations, providing guidance. Assist aquarists with the development of exhibit improvements or redesigns, training, and enrichment proposals, and encourages advancements in husbandry practices in all areas.
- Aids in setting departmental goals and priorities.
- Identify and correct exhibit maintenance issues.
- Exercise sound judgement to evaluate animal health and identify concerns as they arise.
- Develop strategies and solutions to animal health or behavioral concerns.
- Collaborates with veterinarian to recognize animal health concerns and make sure treatment is carried out as prescribed. Assist veterinarian with oversight of all ongoing veterinary treatments.
- Recognize areas in need of behavioral enrichment and/ or training to further husbandry goals and recommend course of action.
- Improve upon current GMAP husbandry practices, developing procedures aimed at increasing efficiency and advancing animal care.
- Daily husbandry care of animals/exhibits
- Maintenance of life support systems
- Testing and monitoring of water quality
- Detailed maintenance of animal/ exhibit records
- Routine cleaning of exhibits
- Delivering a variety of formal and informal presentations
- Daily interaction with our visiting guests
- Routine SCUBA diving for cleaning and other
- At least 3 years previous experience working in a public aquarium or zoo
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, or related area of study
- Experience with fish and herptiles preferred
- Strong people and customer service skills
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays; ability to work well within a team environment
- Must have a strong desire to learn
- Demonstrate a strong dedication to given responsibilities
- Outstanding communication and organization skills
- SCUBA certification
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work outside and on their feet for long durations in extreme weather conditions;
- Willingness to represent the Gulfarium in appearance and action.
This is a full-time position with benefits. All interested parties, please submit online application at www.gulfarium.com/employment_application as well as email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Aquarist” in subject line.