Life Support Technician I (full-time)
The Life Support Technician shall be responsible for assisting with the daily operation and maintenance of all aquatic animal Life Support Systems (LSS) that support Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park. This position will be responsible for assisting with monitoring all phases of facility exhibit water treatment processing as well as equipment condition and making necessary changes or repairs as needed. This position will also be responsible for all water quality lab testing. This position will frequently interface with other Zoological Operations & Engineering staff including veterinarians and animal biologists regarding water chemistry parameters, LSS process equipment adjustments and needed repairs. This position will closely work with senior LSS staff to perform the functions listed above and to provide daily updates on processes, equipment status and needed repairs to the Manager of LSS.
- Monitor LSS equipment and processes for normal operation, make changes as needed.
- Assist the Senior LSS staff in performing preventative and corrective maintenance as needed to keep LSS equipment in excellent working condition and appearance.
- Perform daily water quality tests for the park and exhibits. Work with LSS staff and LSS Managers to understand and interpret water chemistry reports and results, and carry out corrections as recommended. Perform equipment and water quality adjustments as needed.
- Troubleshoot and repair pumps, filters, valves, actuators, PVC pipe, controllers, ozone and chlorine disinfection systems.
- Provide support to other departments as needed including husbandry and dive operations.
- Recommend and maintain the stock of required spare parts, tools, and test instruments.
- Maintain LSS system logs and records.
- Interface effectively with other departments to maintain the highest quality standards.
- Follow and maintain all safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain the highest standard of work area cleanliness at all times.
- Perform other duties as workload necessitates or as assigned.
- Ability to follow instructions from supervisors or senior staff.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must have the ability to repair LSS or similar industrial mechanical plant equipment including ozone generators, centrifugal pumps, heat exchangers, air compressors, automated control systems, and all types of filtration systems including sand filters and protein skimmers.
- Must have basic electrical knowledge with circuits.
- Must have basic knowledge of office software such as Microsoft Office or LibreOffice.
- Must have the physical ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must have the physical ability to work in difficult and confined areas and perform required duties as assigned, which include standing for long periods of time, working in all types of weather conditions, kneeling, bending, lifting and squatting down.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, and holidays.